Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Mentor Me

I'm back at work earlier than usual again.
That's two days in a row man, a colleague asked me to cover for her,
ok sure why not. Then I forgot that i got an early morning meeting tmrw,
So that'll be three in a row. It's ok, it's a short week. I hope.

So the biggest news yesterday has got to be Singapore's change in leadership. (gasp!)
I have lots to comment, but shall keep this posting short. (I am at work afterall!)
Minister Mentor.
By golly, what a title. what a name.
Why couldn't they call the old man a name that evokes more reverence,
since he is to be the Singapore govt's consultant?
He is afterall already deemed as the father of modern Singapore,
And quite literally he is the father of the prime minister,
why don't we just call him "bapak Lee Kuan Yew"
That's malay for "Father".
In Indonesia, they use the term Bapak as a term of respect when addressing the seniors,
senior politicians included.
So Bapak Lee Kuan Yew would have been apt.
Oh perhaps, ah-pa... The indians use that term. So does the chinese.
It just depends on how you say it.
Quite literally he is the Father of the new Prime Minister, so bapak Kuan Yew would be great!
Haha, ok but we're uniquely singapore.
Can you imagine foreign journalists calling him "Minister Mentor sir, what will you teach us today?"
That'll be the new song.
But it does reflect a more back-seat role for the senior Lee,
but being Mentor still, i'm sure there's a whole lot more he has to give.
I'm glad he and outgoing Mr Goh will still be around, Singapore has its own brand of politics.
And it's quite intriguing. But it works, I reckon.
Mentor us old man, we are citizens of unique Singapore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)